Zero Waste, the “curvy cucumber”

Green Diamonds growers deliver a 99.5% perfect product. But of course, sometimes a crooked or not fully-grown cucumber is harvested too.

For years, it has been common to sell the entire harvest. That means the curvy, less beautiful, smaller or light-weight cucumbers are marketed too, usually in the processing industry. 

Green Diamonds encourage consumers to be critical of what they buy and eat. Food waste is a hot item in that area as well. Retailers are jumping on this by adding “misfits”, “outliers”, and “curvy cucumbers” to their product range. They don’t have to. We make 99.5% perfect products, and the remaining 0.5% is also sold. None of it goes to waste.

More topics

Grower networks, staying on top of things

For all Green Diamonds growers, close collaboration is crucial. They form a close-knit network. Every grower contributes their own expertise, making them stronger together. They improve one another’s operational management and maintain a focus on quality. In addition to exchanging knowledge and experience, the constant investment in new cultivation techniques plays an important and essential role.

Lees meer

The 30-day rule

From flower to consumption, cucumbers last 30 days. Within these four short weeks, the cucumber has to grow into a full product, be harvested, packaged, sold, transported and eventually consumed.

Lees meer

Supply Chain: shifting quickly

Speed is crucial on the fresh food market. The longer the chain is from harvest to consumption, the more quality is lost ‘on the way’. Green Diamonds therefore delivers directly to retailers through their supply chain partners. No endless transports and storage.

Lees meer

Sales: agreements that pay off!

Good quality for a fair price; Green Diamonds opts for fair trade and a sustainable policy, in which it is looking for supply chain partners for long-term collaboration. Good agreements can be made based on a fixed price, period, specifications and purchase volume.

Lees meer

LetsGrow: sharing knowledge online

At Green Diamonds, we rely on ‘innovative greenhouse automation’ that has, by now, more than proved its worth. LetsGrow is an application for registering and analysing cultivation-related information. The application shows the greenhouse climate, crop, labour and energy consumption.

Lees meer